Single in the City
The North Saskatchewan River (aka the Ribbon of Green) slices through Edmonton, which helps account for the wealth of natural and urban parkland. The River Valley is the longest stretch of connected parkland in North America (over 20 parks and recreation areas), so it’s no surprise Edmonton takes good advantage of these green public spaces to bring together such magnetic features as their live music, art scene, theatre, and craft beer — along with kindred-spirits.
Understandably, “The Festival City” provides Edmonton singles numerous and unique dating venues, so we’ve compiled some Edmonton dating ideas. If you’re looking for love in Edmonton, we’ve also uncovered some facts and figures about dating in Edmonton. If you’re single in Edmonton, Divine Intervention provides confidential Edmonton matchmaking services for successful singles.
Edmonton’s Dating Demographic
Edmonton is Alberta’s capital city and is home to a population of almost 900,000 (Edmonton Census 2016), with a median age of 36. Younger populations tend to have more men than women and in Edmonton there are 111 men per 100 women. Statistics Canada 2011 revealed Alberta to be the only province where men outnumber women. That trend is most pronounced in the working age group, 15-64, which is 50.4% male versus 49.5% female. For all you single ladies, Edmonton is a great place to be.
According to Stats Canada 55.8% of Edmonton residents are Christian and 25.9% specifically Catholic. The figures from 2010 suggest religious or spiritual beliefs are somewhat or very important to almost 70% of Albertans and 31% of Albertans attended church monthly.
Every Canadian province is different when it comes to ethnically and religious mixed couples. Edmonton’s main ethnic composition is Caucasian at almost 65% and South Asian at 7.2%, Chinese at 6.2%, and Filipino at 4.6%, with other ethnicities represented in the very small minority. 6% of Edmontonians are in an ethnically-mixed union, which is higher than the national average of 3.5%.
An Edmontonian’s Lifestyle
Edmontonians have a reputation for being friendly, dynamic, and outgoing, and interested in exploring the city and beyond. The dating scene is active year-round with endless exciting options in all seasons.
Outdoor activities can’t be beat given the City’s extensive and well-connected park system. Neighbourhood parks dotted throughout the city yield 27,400 acres of parkland, which makes Edmonton Canada’s highest area of parkland per resident. For recreation aficionados who balance career with a good dose of outdoor adventure, there is almost 100 km of biking, hiking, skiing, walking and snowshoe trails.
As a prairie city, Edmonton experiences a relatively dry humid continental climate with extreme seasonal temperatures. But despite the temperature swings, Edmonton is one of Canada’s sunniest cities, receiving over 17 hours at the height of summer solstice.
Edmonton’s reasonable cost of living makes the city more affordable than many large North American cities. Plus, Edmonton has the lowest gas prices in Canada so you can take more romantic road trips to outlying Edmonton destinations.
Edmonton is possibly changing faster than any city in the country. There’s a very sizable gentrification with hip bars and a spectacular food scene in downtown.
Edmonton Dating Ideas
- There is an exciting arts and culture scene with the most concentrated blast of visual art in Edmonton found in a cluster of six galleries around Jasper Avenue and 124th Street.
- Various shopping, music, eclectic dining & nightlife, and breweries (Edmonton’s historic Warehouse District: 4th Street Promenade (104th Street), West Edmonton Mall, South Edmonton Common, Whyte Avenue, Winspear Centre, Beer Revolution, Transcend and Iconoclast for coffee lovers).
- Sports and attractions (CFL Eskimos, NHL Oilers in their new venue, Rogers Place opened Sept. 2016; Kinsmen Pitch and Putt, The Ice Castles).
- Stargazing at the U of A Observatory; view the Northern Lights from Elk Island; Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for one of the best hotel patios in Canada with a romantic formal garden, benches and great views down to the River Valley.
- Festival and events throughout the year: January: Ice on Whyte festival; June: Edmonton International Jazz Festival; July: Interstellar Rodeo, Taste of Edmonton; The Edmonton International Street Performers Festival; August: Edmonton International Fringe Festival; Edmonton Blues Festival; Edmonton Dragon Boat Festival.
As your premier Edmonton matchmakers, Divine Intervention lays the groundwork for successful long-term relationships for its discerning and highly discreet clientele; we’ll help you find the right relationship. Call us today and we’ll look everywhere and anywhere to find your best match.