Celebrate Love for Yourself, Friends, Family & Others
Don’t presume you have to be anti-Valentine’s Day just because you’re single.
Not only can you survive Valentine’s Day when you’re single, you can thrive, too. Shift the focus from romantic love and make it a day to celebrate love in all aspects of your life.
Plan to be pleasantly surprised with how good you can feel when you do something for others or yourself — without a plus one.
Here are our Valentine’s Day ideas for both single men and women to help get you inspired sans red roses and dessert for two.
1. Indulge Yourself
- Pamper yourself. Have a massage or any spa treatment to help you feel rejuvenated. Grab your best gal pals or go it alone; either way, you’ll look and feel fabulous.
- Treat yourself to your favourite anything. A dessert, product, item of clothing, anything that makes you feel great about yourself.
2. Visit Family
- Spending time with your parents, grandparents, siblings or relatives is a wonderful way to express your love to the most important people in your life.
- Write them a heartfelt, handwritten note or poem; offer to make them dinner or lunch, or do an activity together of their choice.
- Offer to babysit your niece/nephew.
- Share your time and offer your services to a shelter (woman’s, homeless, animal), food bank or any charitable cause.
- Bake some Valentine cookies and take them to a senior’s care home; stay and visit, play a board game.
- Giving back to your community can help boost your spirits while helping others in need.
4. Get In The Party Mood
- Throw a Valentine’s Day singles party for your friends (men & women) or go to a singles mixer event together.
- Mingle with singles everywhere from wine tastings, beer tastings and karaoke to a singles dance.
- Watch sporting events at your favourite bar or pub.
5. Have A Fling With Adventure
- Step out of your comfort zone and raise your adrenaline quotient. Try something to challenge yourself or conquer a fear.
- Bring your own blades or rent a pair at Robson Square outdoor skating rink; snowboard, snowshoe or ski at one of the local mountains (check out night skiing).
- Sign up for skydiving, ziplining or bungee jumping; challenge your vertical tolerance at Capilano Suspension Bridge or the Cliffwalk.
- It’s a great opportunity to cross something off your bucket list.
6. Random Acts Of Kindness
- Make someone else’s day by doing something to make them feel special; you’ll feel just as good!
- Buy coffee for the person behind you in line at your local café.
- Do an errand for someone without a vehicle.
- Purchase a hot meal for a homeless person.
- Feed someone’s parking meter that’s about to expire.
7. Take Up A Hobby Or Try Something New
- Sign up for a cooking or dance class, skiing or music lessons.
- Join a new group or club.
- Try something relaxing like meditation or yoga.
- Make a plan to get out of your comfort zone and sign up for anything new.
Tired of being single? Want a date for next Valentines day? Maybe it’s time to test out the services of a matchmaker Vancouver.